Saturday, January 30, 2010

MY IDEA ABOUT SAYING SORRY


“Sorry Tito, di ko na po uli gagawin.” (Sorry Uncle, I won’t do it again.) This is what my niece told me after I had my silent protest for what she did. She was crying when she said sorry, I hugged her and cried also. I told her that I want her to grow up as a good person with respect to anyone, whatever they are and whatever they may choose to be.

It all started with her repeating things that I say and do. She and her 5-year old brother never stopped ‘til I don’t respond anymore. I don’t know how to scold them. I’m not the type who will physically punish them or shout at them because I’m still used to treating them like small babies in my arms. I kept my silence and she noticed it. I just didn’t realize that they’re not that young anymore.

I am so proud of her sensibility that later that day when I saw on tv a girl being mocked for having no hands, I asked if she does the same thing to other pupils, she said no. She even explained that someone in their school is physically disabled but she never laughed at her.

She may not know what exactly she is sorry for but I’m just so happy that she knows how to say sorry.

I went back to Manila so full of enthusiasm that my family is my life and that I’m working for them. That family includes my niece and nephews, my siblings and my parents. I may be wherever I want to be but my family is one strong foundation I can always go back to.

I just learned that saying sorry may not just be saying sorry because it’s your fault. Saying sorry may also be saying sorry although you are right but caused inconvenience to other people. I hope other people will realize that too.

No comments: