Sunday, February 1, 2009

I LOST MY PHONE AT WORK (losing something inside or outside the comfort zone?)


Gee! Of all the places, I lost my phone at work.

It never crossed my mind that I’ll be losing my phone at work. It was my second break when I noticed that something is missing in my pocket but I was so busy at work trying to reach my quota (taking as much call as I can) before the shift ends. On my last call, my teammates were about to leave when I asked one if she could call my number just to know where it is when it rings. Unfortunately, it’s already off, intentionally turned off.

My manager, upon knowing what happened, assured me that it will never be the people near me and I believe her because I can leave that phone in my cubicle and it’s still there when I come back. She sent an email to all that it must be returned. Our Area Manager even responded to that email asking securities assistance than when we met, she said that I shouldn’t worry, I will have more.

I started thinking of where I could have left it.

I can remember that I used it as an alarm when I went to sleep during my lunch break. I set it to alarm 15 minutes before so I could still have time to go to the restroom. I was still able to go to the restroom and chat with a friend then went out and greet an old friend and had a very frustrating call with a very irate customer. That could be the reason why I forgot where my phone is.

Maybe the moral lesson is not to argue with any customer to avoid memory gaps. Haha!

One question popped in my mind, which is worse, losing a phone inside or outside a comfort zone?

My manager, being a very God-fearing person that she is, shared a story of how she returned something without knowing where to return it. Then she realized later on that she’s even more worried than I am. I told her that I consider it a loss and it can not be undone and it's beyond my control now. I am even willing to put the cellphone box complete with its accessories in the sleep room so that the person who got the phone would have its accessories.

I know it’s worse to lose something outside your comfort zone, it’s even worse to lose it inside. Both losses are intentional in nature but it is the hope in getting it back that worsens the scenario.

Right after my shift, I went to the phone service provider so I could report the loss and have a sim-card replacement. In which I have to pay P302.++ to get the same phone number. Then I went to a local phone shop to purchase a new phone.

Two hours after, I have a new one – a Nokia phone with better music and resolution but not the same 3G-quality as the phone I had.

I went home with a new phone without any contact information. Then I started missing what I had on my lost phone. I had pictures there of all the places I’ve been to, from Tagaytay with old friends, to Zambales with new friends and the tree-planting activity at the Eco-park. I had pictures there of my loved ones, which I don’t know if they could still have another one. I have text messages which I always keep and songs I dig to find. I really don’t know if I could still find songs like Love always finds a reason and Love is my decision.

And now I could only wish that I backed them up on my computer.

This incident happened last June 12, 2008. On my rest day, I had the opportunity to watch “Polar Express”. The story is about the giving of the first gift of Santa on Christmas Eve. The boy lost it in the sleigh but Santa gave it back.

Someday, we’ll all be giving gifts in someone’s life. We will all be receiving gifts, you’ll realize how happy it is to have something back when you know it belongs to you.

I may not show how this affected the days of my life but if you have an LG KU250 phone, please check its serial number. If it’s MBEF0120701 (1.0) HM -0307061040297616, I just lost it but it’s mine. Hoping you could be my Santa.

No comments: