Thursday, December 20, 2007

Edwin & Marly's Wedding: My First Impromptu Hosting Assignment

Attending the wedding will be my first after years and years of not going to any of such kind. Why? I've gone out the business of caring. I'm not comfortable. And I just don't want to.

But one very good thing that happened in Edwin and Marly's wedding is my reawakening. I ask myself, how many more friends would entrust one of their happiest moments to make me be an important part of it? Only few I know, like the kind of friendship I have with Marly.

Marly, a very good friend of mine wants me to host her wedding. My initial reaction is, do you want your guests to fall asleep? Then I heard her usual laugh. She said she mean it. I don't know why.

Maybe, she’s used to my funny-conversation with friends where we’d burst into laughter whenever I share my opinions. My friends know that I never got serious in almost anything I say. Even about breaking ups, even about relationships with family and with almost anyone, I never get serious. My life is a joke. My friends know that.

Maybe, that’s what she’s expecting if I host their wedding. Anyway, I said yes I will although our prior agreement is for me to sing only in their wedding. I will because she’s my friend and I may never have that opportunity again.

When I said yes, that started my worries. I told her I need to have the program soonest possible time which I got such a little sooner before the wedding ceremony started. Haha. I told her that some guests might be offended if I’d be myself. Huh. But she just laughed at it. I also said I want to see the location, and with our friends, we visited the place.

But there’s one condition that Marly reiterated: I should never wear anything much that I’d look like the star of the night. Laughing out loud, I agreed. The newly-wed couple must be the focus of attention anyway.

Night before the wedding, I had to sleep early because I still got to work at 5am ‘til 2pm, wedding is at 3:30. I had my clothes in a bag ready to change outfit before the wedding. I took a cab to the church, where I don’t know the exact address. On my way, I’m calling my friend to tell where the driver must take turns. I reached the church at 3pm. I’m the first one to arrive actually. After few minutes, the groom arrives together with his parents. I had my chit-chat with him and asking some questions that will fill my dead-airs during the program. Principal sponsors arrived and then the secondary sponsors and some of our friends and other guests.

But where is the program list? The ever beautiful and fancy and all-out-smiling bride arrived in a bridal car. She’s Marly on her wedding gown with never-to-be-missed-ribbon. That’s how she wants her gown to be, with ribbon. She said, she sent the program to my email which unfortunately I wasn’t able to check as it was filtered in the office server. The hard copy is in the hotel which I need to look for and get back. With the other working for the wedding, we went back to the hotel and we found the program and included the cd that we might need in the program also.

With Ate Daisy, we went to the reception area so we can prepare the location before their arrival. Everything was set up. We tested the dvd player, microphone, etc... But the dove requested by the couple is not available. Too late to know that we don't have time to complain, they gave a gift instead and we only sighed. What more can we do. Some of the guests were already seated and said they have waited too long. Blame it on the priest, they said.

We plan to start the program before the newly-wed couple enters the door of the reception. We waited a while then here comes the bride and groom, but he parents are missing, they arrived later. Instead of going with the program, we let the wedding singer fill the gap. Unfortunately, the cd he brought is not compatible with the dvd player. We had to request for another cd player specifically for his cds. We then decided that be food served earlier. After few talks and wishes, we called for another song again and I decided to sit beside my friends. I had the soup and suddenly I felt the stomach wanting more. I'm already hungry that I just didn't notice. But that's okay, Edwin's sister is so nice that she even requested that I had a special seat but I refused. I enjoyed sharing the food with my other friends. The singer had finished singing and I went back just to play some songs while we devour the sumptuous meals served.

I went back on the place as the host right away. It's getting late we had to wrap things up in less than 30 minutes. I called some of the couple's friends for their wishes. It was a heartfelt moment, reminiscing how each friend wants to pass on to the next generation the friendship among them to their children. Only the best among the best of friends do that. Some of Marly's friends even had to turn their back to wipe away their tears of joy which made me believe, it's really the thought that counts.

We had to rush with the cake and wine ceremony and the throwing of bouquet and the garter. We even had to call each single male and female to participate. Anyway, Doreen and Alvin got those memorabilia from the couple. And they kissed just as what the couple's do. Don't worry Doreen, your soon-to-be husband won't read this.

The highlight of the event is the message of the couple. Despite the many encumbrance that made me not even follow the program, the couple had an all-out-smile recognizing all our efforts and the guests attendance. Never had I seen them frown or even worry, not even in a single moment. I am really very proud of being a part of this very simple yet very memorable and worry-free union of happy hearts. I could only wish the best for Edwin and Marly.

After all the gift-opening and picture-takings, I hurried to supposedly watch Jed Madela's Christmas Concert. On our way to the jeepney stop, I'm talking to another friend who'll get married next year. Her name is Doreen, my new laughing-buddy. She's a natural comedienne. But I seriously promised her that I'll go all the way to Iloilo to attend her wedding, another hosting assignment in the making. Huh!

I'm sure it took lots of laugh and a very good friendship for Marly to finally say, I'd be the one to do it. I may not have done my best, I may not have been the usual friend who has comment on anything during that celebration, but I felt I'm the best friend, Marly and Edwin will forever remember and will forever hold the crown(?) and the microphone on the start of their happy life as a married couple. A happy and married life that I could only wish for. Marly knows that.

This is the story of my first impromptu hosting assignment.

No comments: